Click PDF to download
Vocalist Audition Instructions
DEADLINE: Audition Deadline October 15, 2022 (Received in-office)
PREREQUISITES: Vocalists must be registered participants of the 2022
Las Cruces International Mariachi Conference (LCIMC) prior to submitting an audition DVD.
SELECTION PROCESS: Individual vocalists wishing to audition to perform at the Student Showcase
must submit a DVD no later than October 15, 2022. Selection for performance at Student Showcase
on November 12, 2022 is by audition only.
An independent panel of judges will review the DVD's and make the selections.
Winners will be announced on the last Mariachi Sunday at the Mesilla Plaza. If you are not present, you
will be notified by phone.
ELISA GASTELLUM MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: Robert & Terri Gastellum and their chosen panel
of judges will announce the winner of the Elisa Gastellum Memorial Scholarship at the end of the
Student Showcase. To find out how to qualify for the scholarship, please visit:
A total of six (6) vocalists will be selected to perform at the Student Showcase.
RECORDING GUIDLINES: All solo vocalists must submit an audition on DVD.
Choose a room with the best possible acoustics for your recording
• Use high-grade equipment
• Check your recording level to be sure playback is loud enough but not distorted.
• Record two or three selections that are representative of your intended performance.
• Play back your entire DVD on a DVD player to check your recording before mailing it.
• Prepare a list of your recorded selection in order and attach it to your DVD
• Label your DVD and case with the name of solo vocalist, address,
and contact phone number.
• Send a brief typed biography of the vocalist along with a current photo.
• Acceptable video formats: DVD Only
COSTUME GUIDELINES: Costuming is just as important as how you sing! As you plan for your
audition, please note the following guidelines:
OVERALL AUDITION CRITERIA: Prepare a DVD that reflects your best performance skills. Your audition
is evaluated using the following criteria:
• Appearance - costume uniformity and creativity
• Interpretation of Music and/or choreography - contribution to overall show value through
interpretation of music and/or choreography, facial expression, fluidity of movement, dynamics
• Showmanship - ability to display a sense of flair, style and energy
• Stage Presence - posture and focus on performance
• Technical Execution - level of technical achievement in music and overall stage movement
including accuracy of notes and rhythms, precision of movement, intonation, dynamics and
• Show Content - effectiveness of program choice, including creativity and variety
• Technical and interpretive ability of featured soloist
• Show value - overall effectiveness of the performance as a show element
• Sing musically with special attention to enunciation, intonation, balance and phrasing. Maintain
good posture, energy and stage presence.
INSTRUCTION FOR SUBMITTING YOUR DVD AUDITION: Send your audition DVD to
MAIL using the U.S. Postal Service to the following address:
PO BOX 938
Las Cruces, NM 88004
FED-EX to our physical address:
LCIMC Attn: Robert Palacios
101 Perkins Dr.
Las Cruces, NM 88005
DEADLINE: Audition Deadline October 15, 2022 (Received in-Office)
QUESTIONS: Call the LCIMC office at 575-680-3123